Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Test Drive Tuesday



Last week after posting a link to the restyled Hard Candy line I ended up finding it at my local Wal-Mart! I purchased the Blush Crush Baked Blush in Pin up, Walk the Line liquid eyeliner in Asphalt and the Kal-eye-descope Baked Eyeshadow Duo in High Maintenance. I decided that these products would be perfect for Test Drive Tuesday, especially considering that a lot of people tried Hard Candy before it was available at Wal-Mart, and they may want to know how the new stuff stacks up.

First I will review the blush. I usually don't use blush. I don't necessarily like the pink blushes. I chose pin up because it isn't pink, it is a shimmery natural almost peach color. The first time I applied the blush it was way too shimmery. I started applying it just along my cheekbones, instead of all the way down to the apples of my cheeks. I feel when this blush is applied along the cheekbones it is perfect, but it is too intense if you apply it to your apples. I think the blush will last a while because it is highly pigmented and a small amount goes a long way. I will probably buy the blush again. You also get quite a lot of product for $7.

Next, I will review the Walk the Line Eyeliner. The things I liked about this eyeliner are that it is very dark and only one application is necessary. The brush end fits comfortably in my hand. The eyeliner lasts all day, it doesn't fade or smudge and looks fresh until I take my makeup off.

I do not like that the liquid eyeliner has a very thin brush, it's much thinner than a lot of other liquid eyeliners I have used. I don't care much for brush tip eyeliner and tend to like felt tip eyeliner better. I feel that with felt tip eyeliner it is easier to control the line. The major downside of this eyeliner is that it is VERY hard to remove. This could be a good thing if you have a very steady hand and want your makeup to last 12 hours. I make mistakes with liquid eyeliner, especially because the brush is so thin. I have had to leave the mistakes because I do not have time to scrub the eyeliner off and start over. I am not sure if I will buy this eyeliner again, I may keep some on hand for days when I need a very fine tip eyeliner. I am also hoping with practice I will learn how to keep my hand steadier when applying this eyeliner.

Finally, I will review the Baked Eye shadow Duo. I chose the duo that included a light champagne color and a medium shimmery brown. The eye shadow is actually pretty hard, it definitely isn't one of those eye shadows that will break the first time you drop it on the bathroom floor. The colors can be used wet or dry, I prefer to use them dry because I like a more natural look. If you use the shadows wet it will provide a more intense look. I also like that the shadows have shimmer and small specks of glitter. Some of my Urban Decay shadows have large specks of glitter that end up under my eyes, and fall from my lids throughout the day. Once again I feel like you get a lot of product for the price. I will most definitely buy this product again, I am looking forward to trying new colors.

I was worried that Hard Candy being distributed by Wal-Mart would mean Hard Candy would be low quality. I am very impressed at the quality and the packaging is cool. I love the grown up look and more mature color palette they are offering. They still offer a lot of products for younger consumers, while appealing to older consumers as well. Oh, and they STILL don't test their products on animals. I actually think I like Hard Candy more than I did before?! If you have never tried Hard Candy now is definitely the time!!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I knew you would have it at your Wal-MArt soon! I love my blush... I think I have "Living Doll" (I have to use blush or I look pale like a dead person). I love it! Its one of the best blushes I have had in a long time!

Princess Mandy said...

I've never tried it...well unless you used it on me?! But now I'm all wanting to go makeup shopping.

Meg said...

Yeah Nicole, I was really happy when I saw it. It was freezing cold so my guess is it had just come off the truck that day. :)

Mandy, I only had some Hard Candy eye shadow palettes...not sure if I used it on you! It is worth it, I would at least pick up some essential pieces. :)