Saturday, January 9, 2010

Make your OWN perfume!!!

I have always loved atomizers. I was so happy when we moved near a Hobby Lobby and spotted atomizers amongst the other decorative glass at the store. I couldn't justify spending $20.00 on something I really had no use for. I put one on my Christmas list and patiently waited to see if I would receive one. My husband followed through and on Christmas Eve I finally had an atomizer. To be honest it sat in the box for a week, it sat on my dresser the next week, and eventually ended up in a pile of stuff on my dresser. My husband got the bright idea to actually USE the atomizer, and told me I should make my own perfume! I was instantly excited and borderline obsessed with learning how to do so. We began researching and it turns out making your own perfume is INSANELY easy!!! I decided I'd share with all of you, now you can make your own perfume too!

You will need:

A small dark container to store the perfume in. I chose to use an atomizer, you don't have to use an atomizer if you don't want to. ;)

1/4 cup of vodka or brandy. I chose to use vodka.

10-30 drops of essential oils. I chose to use a premixed perfume oil that smells like Victoria's Secret Love Spell. I was kind of nervous about mixing my own, I will next time!

2 tbsp distilled water

A small dropper if your bottle of essential oil does not have one built in.

Something to protect your work surface in case you spill is recommended.

Optional: 1 tbsp of glycerin to make your perfume last longer



Now, take your 1/4 cup of vodka and pour it into your small dark container.



Next, you will add your essential oils. Once you have added the oils, mix the vodka and oils slowly.



The next step is the most important. Seal up that bottle and let it sit anywhere from 48 hours to SIX weeks. As your perfume sits it is going to get stronger.



Check on your perfume every few days. Once it smells the way you want it to smell add 2 tbsp of distilled water. Shake or stir your container and start wearing your new perfume!!!

This site explains making your own perfume in more depth with a lot more steps. It also explains perfumery notes in detail. :)

1 comments:

kiblerfaeri said...

cool! I gotta try that ;)