Monday, January 25, 2010

Beauty Tip Monday!

Okay, everyone. I have to confess that last week I was inexcusably lazy. I honestly don't even have a good excuse I was just L-A-Z-Y. This week I am going to make up for it and work twice as hard. :)

This weeks beauty tip is sort of a beauty tip/tutorial ALL in one. How exciting, right???

It is very important to nourish your hair, but,it is even MORE important to nourish it in the winter. You can buy intensive conditioners and leave in conditioners, and they work fine. For me, those intensive conditioners work fine for a day. The next day my hair is feeling dry, frizzy and unmanageable all over again. You can purchase handmade all natural hair masks, but, why do that when you can make your own. If there is ONE thing I would like to accomplish with this blog, it is that YOU can MAKE almost anything yourself with simple ingredients.

So, today it's time to make your own hair mask:

You will need:

1 ripe avocado

1 ripe banana (think banana bread banana)

2 tablespoons of olive oil

a bowl, fork, knife, and cutting board

a shower cap or plastic wrap



Once you've got all of your ingredients gathered begin by cutting your avocado in half. Remove the pit and skin and place it in the bowl



Now go ahead and smash it up. I used a fork, but, a food processor could probably be used as well. If you use a fork it will be kind of chunky.

Go ahead and slice up your ripe banana and add it to the avocado.



After the avocado and banana have been thoroughly smashed together add the olive oil. If you have naturally oily hair, or your hair isn't extremely dry/damaged I would suggest less olive oil or omit it all together.



Now comes the messy part. I suggest putting a towel over your shoulders to catch anything that falls off of your head. Start applying the mask to your hair. Unless you have really long hair you will not need all of the mask, you can freeze any leftovers and use them next month. Make sure you saturate all of your hair with the mixture. Warning: this part looks and feels gross but your hair will &hearts you for it!



Now you need to do one of two things, wrap your hair in plastic wrap or put a shower cap on. Set the timer for an hour and rinse.

*The rinsing part is the most annoying part of the entire process. I suggest bringing a comb or brush in the shower with you to comb out all the bits and pieces of smashed banana and avocado out of your hair. I ended up shampooing my hair to make sure I got all the mask out.

1 comments:

Crystallynn said...

Edible hair mask...yum! I'll have to try this.