Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Midcentury Modern China Cabinet Update

I purchased a Midcentury Modern China cabinet a few years ago for $100. It wasn't my first choice, but it was in my price range so I decided to make it work. In my opinion this piece was not rare or made by an in demand manufacturer so I didn't feel like I was committing a sin changing it. I felt like all my china and barware blended in to the cabinet and my collection didn't get the attention it deserved. Here is the dining room shortly after new wall paint.
I knew I wanted to leave the piece as original as possible, but somehow make it a little more dynamic. I contemplated wallpapering the back and decided I wasn't THAT desperate for a project. I finally settled on painting the inside of the piece. I purchased a few quarts of mistinted paint from Ace Hardware and found the perfect complement for my dining room's color palette. I decided to take a chance and paint the inside of my china cabinet. Here's a peek of the mid project mess...
Rather than go all in and potentially ruin the piece; I opted for painting the ugly backside of the cabinet. The backside had a rough texture and was stamped with production dates, I worried the paint may not camouflage well. After two coats of paint and 24 hour dry time I replaced the backing piece and secured it with new nails. Once the piece was put back together I chose my favorite pieces and put them on display!

0 comments: