Monday, September 8, 2014

Laundry Room Redo!

My last house had a huge laundry room. It was amazing! I could actually keep dirty laundry in the laundry room because there was so much room to spare! The house my husband and I purchased November 2013 has a laundry closet with bifold doors. Doing laundry actually felt depressing. Take a look at the before...
I wasn't lying when I said it was pretty depressing. Ultimately these items were my inspiration for the final product.
I didn't want to move the washer and dryer all over the house so I decided to tackle this project one side at a time. After disconnecting everything and taping off the trim I started painting. I chose 'Let's Have a Party', one of the new colors from the OPI line by Clark & Kensington.
It took FOUR coats of paint to get adequate coverage. I nearly ran out of paint but somehow I finished with a few drops left. I had a few accessories that I decided to repurpose but I also wanted some sort of storage. I decided to look at Goodwill and found this metal tiered storage rack for $2.99!
I decided to take it down to bare bones and gave it a quick spray of white paint. It is now the perfect place to store Downy balls and dryer sheets!
I knew I wanted a countertop to take advantage of having a front loading washer and dryer. This turned out to be the biggest challenge of the project. My husband ended up building the countertop. My only contribution was applying paint. I used Rustoleum Satin Black paint I had leftover from another project. It covered well in two coats and is tough enough to withstand constant wear. To hide the hoses and outlets I placed three Magnetic Bullet Boards along the backsplash of the countertop. The project took most of a weekend, but I ended up loving the end result!

0 comments: