Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mailbox makeover!

I have spent most of my life living in military housing and moving every 3-4 years. In 2013 my husband received an assignment with a guaranteed five years in the same place, so we decided to buy our own home. I was incredibly nervous about the process, but I couldn't wait to PAINT my walls. It seems like the most mundane thing to be excited to paint, but after years of Dover White walls I was ready for some color. I had painted everything imaginable (including inside of every closet?!) and was desperate for a new project. This desperation for a project led me to redo my mailbox. I only have a before picture of the mailbox itself...
After removing the mailbox I gave the box a quick wipe down and roughed it up a little with a wire wheel. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Seaside blue for the mailbox. While the mailbox dried I straightened up my mailbox post by putting a concrete sprinkler guard in the gap it had settled into. After the mailbox was nice and straight I began painting my mailbox post with a can of Rustoleum Satin black paint. You can buy this off the shelf at any hardware store, it's perfect for this type of project! I had considered purchasing a new post, but painting it instead was so much more economical and sustainable! As a final touch I added some concrete edgers and a small bed of ferns at the bottom of the post! This project took about 4 hours and the payoff was immediate, all my neighbors were complementing my handwork!

0 comments: